Friday, August 14, 2009

So Many Things..

Today, I could share so many adventures, but I will stick with only one, my morning run. Yes, I am running. Why you ask??? Because, in a fit of, I don't know, let's call it stupidity, I decided to run a marathon to celebrate 40 years on this earth. In my defense, I did pick what has been described as "the most fun marathon anywhere" and, there is drinking involved. In September I am running the Marathon du Medoc, in Bordeaux. My friend, Melanie, is coming to run with me, and we are a pretty even match at between 12 and 15 minutes per mile. Throw in the wine tasting every 2 km, and we may finish in the required 6.5 hours.

Anyway, this brings me to my morning run. I love running at the beach in the morning. The beach here in Toulon is beautiful. It is a series of jetty's and coves ringed by about 20-30 feet of sand (well, actually gravel, as that is what passes for sand here). Just past the sand there is a seawall and perched on top are restaurants, grouped in twos, an asphalt walkway, then grass and trees, a playground, a carousel, various food stands, a putt putt golf course etc., etc. This stretches on for almost a mile, and in the summer, it is packed. However, at 6:30 a.m. the only people you see are the workers, cleaning, watering and preparing for another day. You also see my favorite Toulonaise. There is the twenty-something swimming every morning, the sixty-something methodically preparing his sun spot...a raised platform of sand/gravel about 6 by 4 feet, painstakingly raked to perfection each day at 7 a.m. Then he lays out his blankets, his towels and his umbrella. I assume he then spends the day there. I know he leaves his umbrellas and blankets there, as I see them before his arrival. There is also the lady that feeds the cats each day and the restaurant owners setting up their beach chairs. Today, the special guest stars were the couple that seemed to have spent the night at the beach after partying at one of the nearby "discos". On one pass they were making out under their blanket, apparently wearing their clothes from last night. Hers was a lovely shimmery, silver dress. On the next pass, they were asleep...that was fast. How I would have liked to see that walk of shame. My very favorite person is the man who walks his dog every morning from his car. He drives in a very slow circle while holding the dogs leash out the window. Yes, the dog is attached. Is this lazy or what?? The dog stops to pee, he stops, the dog stops to sniff, he stops. I love it.

Today, I almost got run over by a waiter who I am sure was late for work. He yelled at me for crossing in front of him. Whatever. The walking man was up. Of course, as I turned to yell back, my french being what it is, I yelled, "c'est walking man verte". If he spoke no English he would be confused.....it should be "homme verte" and he had passed by the time I got out the rest of what I wanted...a naughty word that rhymes with "bass pole". Good thing I live in a country that knows the meaning of gun control. No need to worry about the crazy waiter jumping out with a gun. May every day I run be just as much fun.

And, before I go, I just finished a good book...."The Sweet Life in Paris" by David Lebovitz. Funny anecdotes about living in Paris...many of which I can relate to...and AMAZING
recipes...can't wait to cook. Check out his blog at www.davidlebovitz.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment