Monday, August 17, 2009

Notes from a summer weekend

It was an exciting and important weekend in the South of France. Sixty-five years ago, on August 15, 1944, the Allies began Operation Dragoon. The parallel to the assult on the Normandie beaches, Operation Dragoon, with the help of the French Resistance, lead to the eventual liberation of southern France. In celebration, most of the towns, big and small, between Toulon and Cannes hold some kind of ceremony each year around August 15. What this really means, is that the Big Duck is really busy, and attends lots of functions. He says it is like simultaneously planning 7 weddings that are all happening at the same time. The highlight for him so far, was the ceremony in Le Muy, where 8 US, WWII vets were presented the French Legion of Honor. These men, now mostly in their 90's, parachuted into Le Muy and liberated the area from the Germans. Also in attendance were many of the family members of the men who liberated this town. Quite an experience.

What August 15 meant for me and the Ducklings, was another long day at the beach. We spent the day holding places for us and another family to view the fireworks in Toulon. We arrived at noon for 10 p.m. fireworks. It was hot....really hot. However, with sunscreen and SPF protective clothing we survived. After a quick trip home in the evening we returned just in time to view one of the most amazing fireworks displays I have ever seen. It was set to music, all in English (which I always find an interesting choice) .....and was spectacular. Some of the fireworks burst in pastels, some at angles, and some danced. There was also a light show....awesome. The French sure know how to do fireworks. Sunday was the airshow and it was also impressive. Quite amazing, when you think of all the towns south of Toulon, that are doing the same thing simultaneously.

And, just a couple notes. I have been reading a few other blogs as I set out on this blogging thing, mostly in hopes of figuring it all out. Anyway, one of the more interesting ones I have found, is http://www.lemomparis.blogspot.com/. This woman is leading a life that is slightly more, how shall I say? Socially advanced then mine? She covers topics from her hairdresser to her vein Dr (I wish), to nannies (I really wish) etc. But a recent post caught my eye. She talked about an article in the newspapaer Le Journal du Dimanche, that discussed how the French are sun illiterate. They don't believe in sunscreen, they can't imagine wearing a hat and SPF protective clothing is unheard of. A tan is actually considered a social plus as it shows you vacationed and could afford to vacation somewhere sunny. In turn, skin cancer rates are steadily increasing. Le Mom said she is showing the article to anyone who criticizes her for sunscreening and covering her kids (the French Fries as she calls them...I love this). It made me think, while I know that we are pegged as Americans everywhere we go, (loud dog, louder children, even louder Mom, hats and rash guards at the beach etc.) I have never heard a comment about us. Then, I realized, I wouldn't understand any of the comments I hear. So I figure, for now, until my French improves a bit, we will be "the Americans" and when I make a mistake or do something that is not normal to the French, they can roll their eyes and say, "oh those Americans, they do not know anything." And, they will just expect me and my children to be imperfect. C'est la vie! I just hope tomorrow is another great day in France.

1 comment:

  1. lol... the French!... wow! I can't believe the English thing during the fireworks... even though I know it's a universal language in Europe! Lucky you! (U should make those French speaking mum- mommies speak to you in English)! I'll bet they know it! So many people we've met in Europe spoke almost 3-5 languages. Eng. is necessary!

    And as far as you guys protecting your children's skin... at least you're taking care of them rather than letting them get skin cancer!

    love you,
    Marusiches (from socal :) )<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete