Wednesday, September 23, 2009

OMG...it has been too long since I have posted anything...

I haven't posted anything as it feels as if nothing exciting has been going on here. Of course, it has, so now I will post.

First and foremost, the Marathon du Medoc was a success....mostly. I finished, I received my medal, I received my decanter and my wine. I was very slow but I finished. My running partner finished as well, albeit looking like a staypuff marshmallow. She had a weird reaction to something and swelled up. The swelling included her feet, so I am pretty sure that a week later, she has fewer toenails then when she started. The onsite doctor pronounced it "tres bizarre" and said to go to a hospital if she didn't improve. Tres bizarre indeed.

It was a great weekend, and we stayed at this fabulous Chateau near Bordeaux. It is named "Chateau Grattequina" and it is beautiful. The staff was gracious and helpful, the rooms were beautiful, and we loved it. A fun girly weekend was had by all with the exception of swollen feet, hands etc.

Since race weekend, it has been pretty uneventful. It rained all week, giving us a taste of winter. We celebrated the twin ducklings birthday with a very un-French "Barbie Cake". The girls were sick....as I said, a normal week.

Well, mostly normal. The "Biggest Duckling" has us laughing again. Yesterday at school, her class was discussing Indians. That would be Native Americans to us politically correct Americans, but the French, having no need to worry about such titles, stick with Indian. Anyway, it is commonly assumed here that as an American, you have direct knowledge of the Far West as they call it, as well as direct access to cowboy hats, chaps, tepees and the like. For this reason, the "Biggest Duckling" was called up to the front of the class to answer questions about Indians. One of the questions, "what tribes are you familiar with". When I asked the Duckling what she said, she said that she couldn't think of anything so she made a name up. Oh my, I am thinking as I asked her what name she came up with. She said I just called them "Gateau Blanc". "Gateau Blanc" I repeat. Yes, she says, "Gateau Blanc". I am unsure at this point whether to laugh or lecture. For those unfamiliar with French, Gateau Blanc roughly translates to "White Cake". I laughed, lectured (for making it up) and then spent some time wondering how many parents googled this strange new Indian tribe. If nothing else, 26 other students, plus a teacher have been told about a"new" tribe of Indians. May the education of France continue.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment